Tuesday, July 14, 2015

From the International Catholic Congress of Anglicans

I am writing from the International Catholic Congress of Anglicans meeting in Ft. Worth, Texas.  But nobody tell the Low Churchman.

It all began last night with Solemn Choral Evensong, and you know what the Low Churchman thinks about Solemn things.  Well, this one was more solemn than thou, especially in tat and hats.  I’ve never seen so many mitres and birettas in one place.

In fact, Bishop Keith Ackerman even wore a red biretta whilst entering the car to take him to St. Andrews.  This makes the car more visible, increasing safety, and therefore became a liturgical innovation of 20th Century ritualists.  For wearing birettas whilst on airplanes, blue is the proper liturgical color.

Bishop Ackerman was the preacher and he gave a good sermon in which he said the Congress would not be about the proper use of vestments.  At least I think he said that as I was distracted by the large mitre he wore in the pulpit.  Yes, he took multiple liturgical hats to the Solemn Evensong.  I’m sorry to report I lost track of how many.  There were so many hats, and I was so intoxicated by incense . . . well, it was all too much for me.  They even censed the altar during the Magnificat, a disturbing practice I have never before witnessed.

On a happier note, during a more sensible said service of Morning Prayer today, Bishop Nazir-Ali taught well from Colossians 1:15-20.  It helped that he did not wear any distracting hats.

Anglican TV is here and said to be live-streaming the conference.  I do not know if trigger warnings for low churchmen have been posted.

No comments: