Monday, September 23, 2013

Pope Francis Clarifies His Abortion Stance


As a helpful commenter alerted me, the day after his controversial interview became public (and the day I last posted), Pope Francis wisely clarified his stance on abortion:

“Every unborn child, though unjustly condemned to be aborted, has the face of the Lord, who even before his birth, and then as soon as he was born, experienced the rejection of the world,” he said.

Pope Francis condemned the “throwaway culture” abortion promotes, saying, “Our response to this mentality is a ‘yes’ to life, decisive and without hesitation. ‘The first right of the human person is his life. He has other goods and some are precious, but this one is fundamental –- the condition for all the others’”.

I could speculate that he saw (or was made to see) that his earlier comments apparently deemphasizing the abortion issue were a step too far.  But I’ll just say I’m glad to see his clarification. . . . And if my concern that he might be a liberal ends up being unfounded, I’ll be glad to see that, too.

1 comment:

Mari said...

The trick is Pope Francis is getting the world to listen.
Heck my jewish gay neighbors asked about the statements he made on the plane during a press 'chat'. They had negative zero interest in Pope Benedict.
Now maybe we can get them to hear the Gospel, so they may understand the why. The reason for all the seasons (Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc)