Thursday, February 23, 2012

TEC Diocese of Washington Closes Ordination Process Through 2012

The Diocese of Washington in The Episcopal Church is suspending its process for ordination to the priesthood through 2012.

The letter from the bishopess of the diocese is an interesting, honest read. The following stands out:

A Roman Catholic colleague once asked me if the Episcopal Church was also experiencing a clergy shortage. “No,” I said. “What we have is a shortage of lay people.”

So the diocese seems to have more than enough priests and postulants available even while its congregations shrink or stagnate.

The comments at the above link are also worth reading.

I do not have anything that profound or even snarky to say. I find this situation interesting and am passing it along to my inquiring readers.

No comments: