Wednesday, September 02, 2009

About the Whole Foods BUYcott

I know I tend to be slightly snarky and cranky on this blog. But today I want to spotlight something positive that warms my cynical heart.

As many of you are aware, Whole Foods Market CEO John Mackey wrote an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal in which he dared to questioned the wisdom of Obamacare.

Well, the unions and the Left were outraged and called for a boycott against Whole Foods. That was flat wrong and just about as intolerant as you can get. Here is a man who has a well-earned reputation for treating employees well and who provides such a good product that I wish there was a Whole Foods nearby. But because he exercises his free speech in a way that doesn’t toe the union/Left line, they boycott him. Shame!

But I want to focus on the positive response of many right of center. They countered with a BUYcott of Whole Foods, making a point to shop at Whole Foods and to let people know about that.

And that shows their love of free speech and of tolerance as well. Whole Foods, for better or worse, has a slightly left of center reputation and atmosphere. That has certainly been my impression when I shopped at one in the past. (I used to live in a more metropolitan area.) But, nevertheless, the Tea Party people have come to the defense of Whole Foods and of free speech with their time and money. And it appears the net of the Lefty boycott and the Righty BUYcott is that Whole Foods has gained business. The BUYcott appears to be a rousing success.

This sort of positive action demonstrates that those who love freedom are the truly tolerant and genuinely “progressive” ones. May this not be the last time that they – and the Lord – turn the dark intolerance of the Left into good.

No comments: