Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Welcome to Your Show Trial!

Christopher Johnson has a good summary of what Presiding Heretic Schori is trying to pull in her attempt to depose Bishop Duncan:

Welcome to your show trial. To save time, I have already decided that you are guilty. But since I have to go through the motions, you will be "tried" at a time of my choosing even though I am not "legally" entitled to do so. But this is a mere formality since any legal questions you might raise have already been resolved in my favor as have any appeals you might foolishly attempt to make.

I would hope all fair-minded Anglicans agree on what a travesty this is. What is a more difficult issue, also discussed at the above link, is how should a bishop act on this. Should he vote “No”? Or should he refuse to participate in such a blatant violation of the Canons and of justice by refusing to vote?

That is not an easy ethical question. I, for one, am not at all sure what I would do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill Clinton won the presidency twice with less than 50% of the vote. So if the bishops truly want to stop Mrs. Schori, a principled refusal to participate in this sham is not an option. If 40% of the House votes to depose, 25% votes against and 35% votes not to participate, Mrs. Schori will have her majority, select her new lapdog and go from there.

Only if the bishops as a body stand up to her and tell her that she'll follow the canons or Bishop Duncan will stay where he is will Mrs. Schori and her party back down. Will that happen? I don't know but I'm not hopeful. Backbones are in short supply in the Episcopal Organization's House of Bishops.