Monday, November 05, 2007

Remember, remember the Fifth of November!

Yes, today is the Fifth of November: Guy Fawkes Day.

I thought us Texans like to blow stuff up. But -- wow! -- Oxford sounded like a war zone the past two nights. The laws about fireworks within city limits are certainly different here. I’ve heard a number of the colleges set off fireworks. I wonder in what danger that puts the old buildings.

But what’s even stranger is that the fireworks ceased around 10pm. I’ve definitely noticed people are good about letting you sleep around here, much better than Americans.

If you wish in a proper manner to give thanks to the Lord for delivering England from “Popish treachery,” you may find the correct liturgy here. Well, at least it used to be correct.

Sadly, I have yet to hear of any commemoration services in Oxford today.

You may find an interesting discussion thread here.

------

Almost as important is that today is exactly one month until I fly home.

I’m determined to make the most of the time. But I also very much look forward to home -- to the point that I have to remind myself to make the most of the time here instead of just counting the days.

One thing I’ve learned here is that my home is where I belong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to the Gunpowder Plot liturgy - I'll use it for Morning Prayer tomorrow morning.

And enjoy your remaining time in Oxford!

Andy (Essex)