Tuesday, March 20, 2007

BREAKING: TEC HOUSE OF BISHOPS SAYS NO TO PRIMATES’ PASTORAL PROPOSAL

I’m shocked and surprised at the news that came out tonight. As I’ve noted, I thought the Primates’ proposed pastoral scheme was weak and overly generous to the Episcopal Church, particularly in letting PB Schori appoint 2/5 of the Pastoral Council.

But that wasn’t good enough for the House of Bishops. They said no to it.

They’ve asked for an urgent meeting with the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Primates' Standing Committee. But if the generous pastoral scheme isn’t good enough for the House of Bishops, I can’t see how they will meet the more difficult requests. And I don’t see the Global South budging anymore. ++Akinola flexed so much already in Tanzania, it literally hurt his back!

Again, the message from the Episcopal Church to the rest of the Anglican Communion is “Don’t interfere while we beat up the orthodox.”

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at anything from the Episcopal Church anymore, but I’m still . . . amazed.

Here’s the press release from the Episcopal News Service. Chris Johnson is right. The self-righteous arrogance of this is breathtaking.

No comments: