Sunday, June 18, 2006

My Take on the General Convention Endgame

Katharine Jefferts Schori, Bishop of Nevada was elected Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church today. Although that certainly creates issues for those who have issues with liberal women bishops, it probably doesn’t make much of a difference as far as the Anglican Communion is concerned. But some observers disagree with me on that.

As far as the much discussed resolution of regret, it does appear a bit of a fudge is in the works. But I suspect it will be good enough for most primates of the Communion if passed.

I think the future of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion hangs on the moratorium resolution. Will there be a genuine moratorium on same-sex blessings and consecration of gay bishops? Or will there be fudge such as the mere “considerable caution” language on bishops? The “caution” language is a loophole big enough to drive a truck through. I think it would be seen as such by most of the Global South. And it may well ensure that either the Episcopal Church or most of the Global South provinces will be leaving the Anglican Communion.

That resolution is the issue to watch in the endgame of the General Convention.

And I don’t see a way the Episcopal Church can get by with a fudge on this one. Either you have a real moratorium or you don’t.


UPDATE: Maybe I’m wrong. An infuriating piece of fudge on bishops is in the works . . . and I’m afraid it might work.

No comments: