Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Power of Reading Scripture.

As part of my training to be a lay reader, I’ve begun reading out loud once a week Morning or Evening Prayer as if leading a congregation.

In doing so, I discovered that reading the scripture aloud can be a powerful thing. I knew that from hearing scripture read at Anglican services. But in practicing it myself, I’ve experienced it more first hand.

It so happened that my first two home practices had me read Luke 22:47-62 and 23:26-43. Reading aloud the first passage, which ends with Peter denying Christ three times then going out and weeping “bitterly”, magnified its profound sadness.

The second passage begins in the middle of the Via Dolorosa, sees the Lord Jesus nailed to the cross, and ends with Him declaring to the thief beside him, “Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.”

Reading it out loud sent chills through me. It’s hard to put into words the solemn feelings of sadness and gratitude I felt.

Those are strong passages to start with, are they not? Reciting them certainly brought home to me in a new way the power of God’s Word.

No comments: