Friday, August 19, 2005

Post-Modernism and the decline of intellectual discourse.

For some time, I’ve been thinking about posting on Post-Modernism. And I nearly wrote an article for Youthworker Journal since I’m particularly concerned with the influence P-M and the “emergent church” is having on youth ministry. But I was completing my move. And it’s not easy to get even my long arms around the subject.

So I’m very glad to see this piece by John Richardson this morning. It’s very succinct and perceptive in addressing the corrosive effect Post-Modernism has on Western thought and discourse, particularly in the church. I commend it to you.

Probably the first time I was really confronted with the negative effect Post-Modernism has on intellectual discourse came from talking online with a certain group of college and post-college aged people, I was really struck by how the ultimate sin for them was to say that someone is wrong.

For this firm believer in absolutes (who is also not the most tactful man in the world), it made discussion rather difficult.

No comments: