Friday, January 07, 2005

Churchly Quality Control XII 1/2: Liberal Church Leaders revisited

I saw this excellent quote this morning that is all too relevant to my December 30th post. (Thanks to VirtueOnline.) And I just can’t let it pass by.

We never doubted that the unorthodox opinions were honestly held: what we complain of is your continuing your ministry after you have come to hold them. We always knew that a man who makes his living as a paid agent of the Conservative party may honestly change his views and honestly become a Communist. What we deny is that he can honestly continue to be a Conservative agent and to receive money from one party while he supports the policy of another."
C.S. Lewis on Apologetics, 1945

That very well expresses what has been my gut thinking for a long time. I don’t begrudge people having unorthodox opinions (as much as I may let myself be provoked by the opinions). I’d lose a lot of friends and alienate myself from my family if I did. What I do find unacceptable are those who hold unorthodox views – and really unchristian views if we’re to be blunt – holding church offices.

I could say (rant) more about how utterly absurd and, yes, evil that is. It has certainly provoked me almost as long as I’ve been a Christian. But I’d rather you have Lewis’s wonderfully succinct statement in your mind than Mark having a conniption.

No comments: