Thursday, March 25, 2004

a part of something bigger

In my prayer time the morning, I enjoyed praying the collect and the psalms for Annunciation Day. I makes it more meaningful to me know I’m saying the same prayers as a multitude around the world and across the centuries.

I guess that’s one thing that attracts me to Anglicanism. I want to be part of something bigger than me and my local church. Yes, I already am. Even independent churches are parts of the worldwide church. But praying the same prayers as a multitude of others across both space and time and being part of a worldwide communion would make it a lot more tangible.

Speaking of which, I was very encouraged to read the following from Richard Kew. He notes that a number of continuing Anglicans “are not part of the [Anglican] Communion, although many of them . . . would very much like to be.�

He continues, “One of the questions in coming years is how this blending will take place, especially in light of the overtures now being made by a wider array of Anglicans toward folks like the Reformed Episcopal Church, whose leaders, together with those of the Anglican Province of America, will be meeting with Archbishop Drexel Gomez in Nassau during the next week.�

Like I said, I found that tidbit very encouraging. It reflects well on the REC and APA that they desire a place in the Anglican Communion and are taking steps in that direction. These bodies reflect my thinking in that they want to be a part of the AC, but don’t want to compromise too much to do so. I’ve noticed they also have long-standing relationships with the American Anglican Council.

I’m also glad to see that a leading conservative Primate like ++Gomez is interested in expanding the Communion to continuing Anglican bodies.

By the way, isn’t it interesting that conservative Anglicans are proving themselves in some ways to be more ecumenical than the liberals?

For me personally, these sorts of contacts increase the possibility that in the long term I’ll be able to have my cake and eat it, too – to be a part of the Anglican Communion, but not in the ECUSA.

No comments: